Wednesday, June 8, 2011

PLACES--BARKHAMSTED RESERVOIR--CT.

Saturday-June 4th: After what has been an unusually brutal winter, today was one of those days that nature creates as a way of balancing things out...A perfect day and what made it even more amazing was that it fell on a weekend!! The lawn was mowed earlier in the week (Thursday) and there was only one more load of laundry to be done..However, there will always be some more things that need to be done, some weed whacking, jeep needs washing, plants that need planting, some interior trim that should have been done months ago, I kicked it all off to the side..Feeling a bit of guilt, but hey, I needed to do some time on two wheels, kind of good for my mind and soul.. Mother Nature herself would be insulted if a biker didn’t spend some time in the wind on such a day..I strapped my leather to the sissy bar, put my camera in my pocket, gave my bike a quick safety check and after a short prayer (asking for Devine protection) I was once again free, flying low, feeling so good that it’s probably against the law..
One of my favorite rides is to Barkhamsted reservoir..My route runs alongside the Farmington River for most of the way..The air smells clean, is considerably cooler and the traffic is always light.. I had planned to do a mileage check and a “how long did it take to get there” to include in this post, but then I realized I didn’t really want to turn the ride into a stupid study about time and miles..Suffice to say the trip takes me just a few miles from the Massachusetts border..the scenery is mostly lush green forest and a smattering of small towns, fishing equipment stores, antique dealers, farm stands and the like..A long winding road on the east side of the lower lake (Lake McDonough) leads one to a road that spans the top of the dam face..As is always the case a number of motorcycles were parked in the lots at each end of the dam..The only time I have not seen bikes there is in the dead of winter (yea, I do ride in the winter). Given the view from the dam, the beautiful ride, the whole ambiance of the surrounding towns, this is a favorite destination of many bikers who, just like me, want to enjoy a couple hours of just cruising..
The dam itself is 135 feet tall and 1950 feet long..It holds back 36.8 billion gallons of water and is the primary water source for Hartford Connecticut..The Army Corps of engineers started construction in 1936 and finished in 1940. After eight years it was finally full. The reservoir is eight miles long, reaching almost into Massachusetts..Under all that water are the remains of a village that was once called Barkhamsted  Hollow.
I’ve posted a few pictures of the bikers who were there when I arrived, as well as some who pulled in as we spoke about bikes, near-by chow stops, an ongoing car show etc. As always-good people to be met-good places to go..Later posts will cover some of the events in the nearby villages as well as a few pictures of the fall foliage-colors are awesome, like a rainbow factory exploded..Till next week---Happy Trails
                                                               THE  GATE HOUSE
                                                             LOOKING NORTH
                                                            LAKE   McDONOUGH

                                        "YOU CAN PHOTO THE BIKES-BUT NOT US"
                                                                     ~OK--GOT-CHA~
                                                                                                                                                                     
Some good people I met from Massachusetts-left to right--Fran C.--Gina C.--Dan A.--Danielle M.--Jim G.
AS ALWAYS-CLICK ON PHOTOS FOR MORE DETAIL

No comments: